So far, we have been to the pumpkin patch twice, and since neither experience produced great pictures, I wouldn't be surprised if I go back for a 3rd attempt.
The first try was last Wednesday, when Kaelyn and I went with her friends Kate and Asher. Besides the fact that it was 94 degrees in the middle of October, my camera died within minutes of being there. Which, come to think of it, was probably a good thing that it was unbearably hot, because just as we arrived, so did the fresh truck of pumpkins...and if you never experienced picking out a pumpkin with me, let's just say it is possible that I would have moved every pumpkin in sight to get the perfect one. Not to tall, not to wide, not too many lines, and definitely no bruises, marks, or other discolorations. I contemplated jumping into the truck as the workers were unloading the fresh pumpkins to look at each one as they put them on the ground, but seriously, what would I have done with Kaelyn?
The second attempt was last Sunday, and although I heard it would be busy, I was not prepared for what we experienced. Albeit that this is the only true pumpkin patch that I know of (not a fake pumpkin patch that is erected in a mall parking lot) and Charley warned me that parents from his school (over an hour away from the patch) were all talking about going, I did not expect the crowds that had gathered by 10 a.m. They had multiple staff people whose sole job was to wave cars in with orange flags and they were already directing people to the 3rd parking lot, since the first 2 were full. Additionally, the weather had changed 30 degrees in 3 days, and this was now a cold and rainy afternoon. The pumpkins were wet, the ground was muddy, and again, my camera died within minutes of being there. (**hint-hint** To my better half who may read this... MY CAMERA DIED AND MY BIRTHDAY IS IN 2 WEEKS). After about 15 minutes of fighting the crowds to try and get a picture, and then not being able to, and trying to huddle with Kaelyn under an umbrella, I told Charley I was over it and started walking back to the car. Although he was compliant, I did see the look of pain on Charley's face as we passed the bratwurst cart and he realized that he would be leaving without sampling the pumpkin patch cuisine.
So, despite our best efforts, we only got a few pictures of a less-than enthusiastic Kaelyn, but they are still pretty cute. Oh, and as a side note, Kaelyn wanted nothing to do with the pumpkins, but she really enjoyed climbing on the pallets of wood the pumpkins came in on.
2 comments:
The photos are great. What's her costume going to be?
a ladybug!
Post a Comment