Thursday, December 18, 2008

Miss Informed


Boo-Hoo...

I suppose I was getting spoiled at the Dr.'s office when at the beginning I was getting an ultrasound every time I went in. On Monday, we went in for a routine appointment, and much to my disappointment, they put me in a "regular" room (with no fancy equipment.) When it finally sunk in that they would not be transferring me once another room became available, I asked why I wouldn't be getting an ultrasound. My Dr. said that they only do that from this point on if there is an "issue". I could see Charley staring at me from the corner and he knew what I was thinking. In his eyes, he was trying to tell me "don't even think about making up a problem just to get an ultrasound." Pfff, like I would stoop that low I thought, while also trying desperately to remember any of the names of the conditions you can develop during pregnancy.

Then I tried to bargain with the Dr. She informed me that I wouldn't be getting another ultrasound until 20 weeks. Doing the quick math, I pointed out that if she sees me every 4 weeks, she would see me at 18, could I have it then? No? Ok, well then can I come at 18 and then again at 20? Yes! I finally wore her down! So, no news on the gender front until the end of January.

Here is a recent description of baby Jacob's development:

Your Baby

Rapid growth of your baby continues at this point. The skin is very thin and you can see the blood vessels clearly underneath. The scalp hair pattern is developing while fine hair (called lanugo) covers the baby's body. Your baby is approximately 12-14 cm (3.7 to 4.1 inches) and weighs about 50 grams (1.75 to 2 ounces).

Your baby's taste buds already look like a mature adult's and doctors have learned that the amniotic fluid that surrounds it can smell strongly of curry, cumin, garlic, onion and other essences from a mother's diet. Your baby's bones continue to harden and retain calcium very rapidly. At this point in the pregnancy the placenta will begin to take on the job of hormone production to sustain the pregnancy, which was the job of your ovaries up to this point. Your baby's eyelids are now firmly shut, and will stay closed until the third trimester.




No comments: