Monday, December 8, 2008

Oh Christmas Tree, Oh 2/3 Christmas Tree


What does this story have to do with the baby you ask? Nothing. What does it have to do with this blog? A very good example of pregnancy hormones at work coupled with the ingrained differences between man and woman.

The story goes like this...

Charley's first mistake occurred during the Christmas season of 2006, when he decided to try to be helpful by going to the Christmas tree lot and picking out a tree by himself in order to save me the hassle. What a nice guy you might be thinking. Until I force you to conjure up images of the tree in the Charlie Brown Christmas and you start to get the picture of what this tree looked like. How do you put 642 ornaments on a tree that has 7 branches?

This year, however, he was smart enough to take me to the lot of my choice, allow me to unwrap as many trees as I saw fit, and without much complaint, allowed me to select the 8 foot tree that was accidentally marked 7 feet so I could feel like I got a bargain. Take that tree farm!

Again, what a nice guy you might be thinking. However, his second mistake occurred when he decided to put the tree up while I was working late one night. In his male mind, he clearly could not see how a tree with a 5 foot diameter could fit into the corner I designated. What would I have done you ask? Easy. I would have had him move the 350 pound dining room table into the garage or some other room so as to clearly ensure that the tree stood prominently as the centerpiece of the dining room. Furniture or other "accessories" come second to the splendor of the tree. What did he do? He chose to take the tree outside and lob off all of the branches on one side of the tree so they were not more than a foot long and could be squeezed into a corner. Hence, we now have 2/3 of a tree.

Now is the point of the story where the pregnancy hormones kick in. "You've maimed my tree and ruined Christmas," I yell as I storm up the stairs. To which he quietly replies "What would you have liked me to do?" Why it's not obvious to him I don't quite know, but clearly, the sensible thing at the time would be to hack our dining room table into kindling in order to light the fire that has gone out which is now making me cold, thus leaving ample room for the tree to be displayed in all its glory. Oh, and do we have anything that you could use to make the tree rotate 360 degrees?

Oh, and I also don't appreciate the people who I tell this story to who seem to think that Charley is "on to something" and should market corner trees. Will you please look at the bottom of this tree and tell me it looks normal?

1 comment:

sam said...

oh charley.... good luck. =) i love your blog! i will become a follower.