Twas two mornings before Christmas and all through the house
Every creature was stirring except for my spouse.
10 hours of sleep was apparently too few
As he napped with the baby and told me to shoo
I had no fear and I thought I’d be slick
As I reached deep inside my wife’s bag of tricks
I’ll make him coffee cake, I thought, and he’ll awake to the aroma
But one hour later he was still in his coma
No matter, for I had a job to complete
To get though the errand list I’d been putting off for weeks
First off to Vons to get some flour
To make dozens of cookies for my family to devour
I thought I’d be in ‘n out and the day would be mine
Till I reached the check stand and saw 13 people in line
I foolishly chose the lane that read “express”
Reasoning in must be faster than the rest
No need to point out that clearly my choice was not sound
For by every coupon-toting, discount card holding misfit this lane had been found
Though the sign was quite clear “10 items or less”
The man with 13 items was adding to my stress
Fuming inside I decided to let this one go,
Thinking that karma would catch up with my foe
Finally out and only slightly vexed
I looked at the list to see what was next.
Quick home to feed Kaelyn then out for round two
Did I really have all of these things to do?
Gromit must be at the groomers in an hour
The house must be cleaned and the floor must be scoured
The baby needs a bath for she smells like cheese
The movies must go back to avoid the late fees.
A few more presents to buy, some people are quite hard
Oh what can I buy them? They’ll all get a gift card.
Charley’s tire is flat and in need of repair
But go to Costco today? I wouldn’t dare
I’m not sure how Michael’s thought it reasonable to employ
Just one lonely clerk, a teenage boy
M y car needed gas and I was starving by now
But on I mission I was, and through my list I would plow
Finally I got home as the clock struck one
Just as the groomer called and says Gromit is done
So back in the car I went en route to Petsmart
I was supposed to be cleaning, now when will I start?
“Gasp!” I explain as they bring Gromit out
“Did you use a weed-whacker on him?” I wanted to shout
Cowering in the corner he wouldn’t go out the door
Knowing he looked even more ridiculous than before
I am home yet again and I can finally start to bake
I’ll just make a few things, how long could it take?
I get out the recipe and start to peruse
How much of each ingredient I will need to use
You’ve got to be kidding I manage to mutter
Could it really be true that I don’t have enough butter?
So back off to Vons with Kaelyn in tow
Why didn’t I just buy the refrigerated dough?
By now it is four and the list has been chucked
I’ll never finish, boy am I…. in trouble
I slammed open the front door with a dramatic flair
Then stopped dead in my tracks and did nothing but stare
Could this really be true, do my eyes deceive?
For what I saw could not be believed
The house had been cleaned from bottom to top
The floors had been scrubbed while I went to shop
The carpets were vacuumed the dishes all done
Even the pet hair was gone, I really was stunned
Could it be Santa or the Christmas elves at work
Is this all a dream? Am I going bizerk?
With vacuum in hand he emerged from behind the wall
My knight in shining armed with Lysol
“I thought I could help by cleaning” he said in his shy way
“I know you have probably had a long day.”
“I am marinating steaks for dinner” he said
“And I even washed the sheets on the bed.”
My heart melted quickly as I leaned to Kaelyn and said
That is the reason to this man I was wed
And so my friends the moral is this
Through the hustle and bustle and holiday madness
Let us all remember what brings us gladness
Forget the crowds and the ignorant clerks
Don’t worry about the people who drive like jerks
The gifts will get wrapped and the bows will get tied
You don’t need to find a hole in which to hide
I can’t help but feel blessed for all that we have been given
For our jobs, for our friends, and the house that we live in
But the best gift that has been given to me
Is my wonderful little family of three
(Ok, actually all of our family, but I couldn’t figure out how to make that rhyme)
Merry Christmas!
3 comments:
Wishing you a very Merry Christmas!! Hugs to you all!
wow what a great rhyme! and so sweet :-)
forget it! that was so creative! you rock and so does your awesome little family of three! =)
Post a Comment